Approximately 90% of all world trade takes place in the sea. The amount of ballast water transported by vessels each year is estimated at a staggering 10 billion tons. The ballast water helps keep the vessel stable, particularly when the cargo is very low. Once a port disgorges the cargo, we pump the ballast water into it (source port), carry it throughout the voyage until the ship reaches the loading port, then discharge it once the ship has been loaded (destination port). Ozone for Ballast water treatment is an ideal solution as compared to other chemical based solutions.
Marine environment may be adversely affected by the microorganisms, bacteria, and fungus present in this ballast water. Ballast water convention regulation D2 was implemented to protect the marine environment. In 1981, a convention was adopted that required all ocean-going vessels to use a ballast water management system that complied with D2. Therefore, ballast water must be treated before discharge. Onboard, ballast water can be treated with an ozone generator efficiently. Let’s take a closer look at this system.
What is ozone?
An ozone molecule is actually a triatomic oxygen molecule. Air is stable because of the oxygen that is present in it. During the breakdown of oxygen molecules at high energies, the atoms free themselves and combine with other oxygen molecules to form ozone, a triatomic oxygen molecule. Since the O3 molecule possesses an extra atom, it is always prepared to give off that atom in order to return to an equilibrium state. Virtually any substance could receive that additional oxygen atom. Ozone is highly reactive, highly bondable, and highly unstable, which means that it cannot be stored. The ozone on our planet is said to be one of the most effective oxidizing agents.
Ozone as a disinfectant
A popular method of disinfecting water is ozonation. By injecting ozone into the water, all the bacteria and germs in the water are destroyed. The highly reactive and unstable nature of ozone makes it desperately seek something with which to react, and this is what we accomplish through our process. In this process, it reacts with the cell structures of bacteria and microorganisms, which reduces the structural integrity of these organisms, rendering them useless.
How is ozone generated?
We must create ozone near the ballast water inflow due to ozone’s incompatibility with long-term storage. The ballast water must be provided immediately after ozone has been generated. There are two general types of shipboard ozone generators.
A UV ozone generator creates ozone by disrupting molecules. This energy is sufficient to break oxygen molecule bonds. By combining oxygen atoms with biatomic oxygen, ozone is formed. Only ozone can be synthesized at 185 nanometers.
In contrast to ultraviolet types, Corona Discharge types use electrical discharges to break oxygen atoms. Ozone is formed by combining oxygen with other nitrogen atoms under the action of high voltage and ionizing the air. This creates an electrical discharge that breaks oxygen’s bonds.
Ozone Generator Ballast Water Treatment System
A ballast water treatment system based on an ozone generator can be fitted into any engine room regardless of ship type and size.
1. In order for the system to work, the oxygen generator must be filled with air from the air compressor.
2. Generators generate oxygen, which is then stored in oxygen receiver tanks.
3. Ozone is then produced with this oxygen by the ozone generator.
4. The ozone generator ensures the right amount of ozone inducement in the ballast water.
5. Moving forward, it helps maintain subzero temperatures for the system.
6. In ballast, the water pumps turn on and some ballast water flows into the side-stream injector via a circulating
pump to be infused with ozone before being injected.
7. Through the jet nozzle, the side stream returns to the mainstream
8. Ozone kills or neutralizes bacteria and microorganisms.
9. A total residual oxidant monitor allows us to maintain safe levels of residual oxidants by monitoring the
concentration of ozone within the system. A Ozone Concentration analyzer controls the ozone dosage into the
10. The system is turned off after ballasting is completed, and it is then purged by seawater.
As a disinfectant, Ozone has many benefits including:
- More efficient than chlorine disinfectant
- The time required to disinfect this product is very short
- There is no need for chemicals, so storing and transporting chemicals are eliminated
- Ozone is eco-friendly and leaves no residue behind
Save money and protect the environment by treating ballast water efficiently using ozone generators. In ships, ballast water can cause environmental damage if it is not properly treated. As a result of uninvited species and maritime ballast water introduced from ships’ starting point, it has caused problems in local ecosystems.
Ballast water can be treated before being released with ozone. In addition to destroying bacteria and viruses, ozone has oxidizing properties. A ballast water treatment method uses ozone to eliminate microorganisms in the water, such as phytoplankton and zooplankton. This leads to a reduction of non-indigenous species present in the source water after release. Ballast water can also be recycled and reused after being treated with ozone.
You may want to look into industrial ozone generators which is an ideal solution to treat your ballast water.