The purpose of this article is to explain how ozone can be used for cooling tower water treatment. Industry benefits from ozone by avoiding chemicals and reducing costs. It doesn’t make a difference in how cooling towers are disinfected. Read on to learn how ozone can help you save money! Recent years have seen great interest in using ozone for cooling tower treatment.
Ozone has been found to be an important tool in preventing and controlling legionnaires diseases (legionella). Its specific characteristics make ozone the most effective disinfectant where others have failed. In addition to its other particular attributes, ozone has enormous appeal for cooling tower users.
The conservation of water
Cooling tower water must be treated to limit the growth of mineral and microbial deposits that can reduce the heat transfer efficiency of the cooling tower.
Ozone is a strong disinfectant and an interesting alternative for the chemical biocides in cooling tower water treatment.
In the prevention and control of legionnaires disease (legionella) causing microbes, ozone has taken an eminent roll.
By reducing/eliminating chemicals from the chemical water treatment disinfection process, ozone water treatment disinfection has several advantages over traditional chemical water treatment disinfection.
Some primary benefits include:
- Cooling towers with ozonation entail a number of benefits, including significant savings on costs such as:
- Reduction of water consumption;
- Reduction of consumables;
- Reduction of anti-scaling and anti-corrosion agents;
- Reduced maintenance costs;
- Remove the costs of chemical biocides storage and transport;
- Reduction of energy consumption due to the increased efficiency of the cooling operation.
The use of ozone for cooling tower maintenance treatment has significant potential for savings in operations and maintenance as well as a reduction in chemical disinfection costs. Ozone acts as a powerful biocide, which reduces or virtually eliminates the need to remove large quantities of water from cooling towers, thus lowering the levels of organic and mineral solids in the system.
As a powerful antibacterial agent, ozone is an excellent ally when applied to cooling towers of air-conditioning coolers because it eliminates bacteria, fungi, and viruses, including legionella, in a highly effective way without leaving any residues. Ozone can, however, stimulate corrosion as opposed to inhibit it, meaning that service providers should optimize their systems to combat corrosion while guarding against biologically and mineralogically contaminated systems.
Based on a recent study conducted by the Federal Technology Alert for Lockheed Martin Facility’s premises, we can conclude that annual operating costs can be reduced by one quarter by using ozone treatment in comparison to the traditional (chemical) system. A reduction of $ 198,168 in revenue per year has resulted in a decrease of $ 57,415 in annual operating costs (labor) and electricity costs.
Cooling Tower Water Treatment
As a treatment method for ozone, cooling towers are a relatively new technology. Users in this industry have yet to discover the true benefits of the technology. Ozone generator water treatment offers the greatest advantages in terms of water and energy savings than traditional chemical water treatment. Chemical use can be reduced or eliminated, which offers users cost benefits as well.
Warm water and sunlight make cooling water an ideal breeding ground for bacteria, which allow algae to multiply. If the algae aren’t removed, the tubes can become blocked. For these microorganisms to grow, biocides are required. In cooling processes, water is lost through evaporation, and the make-up water is added to compensate; it is this added water that causes the dissolved solids content of the water to increase. In order to dilute the solids concentration in the water, periodic blowdown of some portion of water is necessary to lessen the accumulation of dissolved solids in the water over time.
This causes an increase in scale on the heat exchanger surfaces, causing a loss of heat transfer resulting in a drop in efficiency and heavy losses for the heat transfer system. A higher rate of corrosion is a result of scaling. A slimy bacterial layer called Biofilm can also cause scaling on metal surfaces. These factors can be controlled with corrosion and scale inhibitors.
- Intact destruction of all microorganisms;
- Removes biofilms very effectively;
- Because of its ability to remove biofilm, it is very effective against Legionella;
- In the system, there is very little corrosion. Copper heat exchangers, for example, are less likely to corrode since there are no chlorinated compounds;
- By oxidizing organic waste, ozone decomposes it;
- Efficiencies in treating water and discharging it into the environment;
- Maintainability at a low cost;
- In many cases, operating costs are lower and overall costs are lower.
- Enhanced efficiency of operation, due to an increase in heat transfer through the chiller; Lower energy costs;
- Safe and easy in use;
- Effective for mussel growth;
- Minimizes condenser fouling;
- Due to its on-site production, ozone does not require the storage of dangerous chemicals;
- Compliance with regulatory requirements through environmentally friendly treatment;
- Keeping the cooling tower and the cooling circuit clean with a high-efficiency disinfectant (residual ozone concentrations of 0.1 to 0.2ppm are often effective);
- After prolonged use of ozone, bacteria cannot become resistant to it; ozone does not require additional disinfectants;
- Ozone is more germicidal than chlorine;
- Disinfectant or disinfectant byproduct buildup is minimal. After its cycle, ozone decomposes back into oxygen with no chemical residues or disinfectants;
- Chemicals are not used (except to balance pH). Ozone doesn’t affect pH levels;
- There is no limit to the pH range in which Ozone is effective;
- And much more.
Ozongenerators is a professional manufacturer and supplier of ozone generators. The company has been engaged in the R&D, production and foreign trade of ozone generators for many years, so it has rich industry experience in both ozone generators and ozone applications. Ozongenerators strives to provide the most competitive ozone generators to our clients. The company has a production factory with its history over 30 years and advanced production lines and complete instruments and equipment. The components, wires and fasteners adopted in our products are all sourced from first-rate Chinese suppliers after long-period cooperation and selection. Through our self-owned production factory, the quality of the components and the production process can be effectively controlled, and the high quality and long-term stability of the products can be promised. This also helps to maintain the products’ price competitiveness.
At present, our products include Car & Home Air Ozonators, SPA & Home Water Ozonizers, Commercial Ozone Generators, Agricultural Ozone Machines, Industrial Ozone Generators, and Ozone Generator Spare Parts. We have continuously been making great effort to improve the quality of our products while enriching the variety. Today, whether for commercial, industrial, agricultural, car and SPA applications, we are capable of providing high quality ozone generators to satisfy the ozone application demands from different industries. In the future, we will continue to develop new ozone generator products according to market trends. In addition to our regular products, we also provide product customization service to meet the personalized and differentiated demands for products from our purchasers. Therefore, at Ozongenerators, no matter what our purchasers need in their orders, we will try our best to make it realized with our existing products and our product customization service. We take product quality and customer service as the foundation of our development. In recent years, our products have been well received by purchasers from Europe and USA for their excellent performances and reliability.
If you are purchasing ozone generators or other related products, please visit Ozongenerators.com. Based on your needs, we will provide you with the most appropriate and cost-effective product solution. We believe that our products can better help your future product sales. You can contact our Customer Service for more information. We are looking forward to establishing a cooperative relationship with you and becoming your product supplier.